Monday, November 21, 2011

Time Machine: November 1987


I have stacks and stacks of old Becketts.  Every now and then, I like to grab one off the shelf to see what was going on back in the day.  Here are a few interesting tidbits from November 1987:

READERS WRITE:
I'm pretty sure this guy's head exploded in the mid-90s:  "It seems to me that there are too many sets available for purchase.  It is very confusing to go to shows and be bombarded with the major sets and the minor ones (such as all the little 44-card Fleer boxed sets), too."

I love this one: "What is a mint card with one or two creases worth?"

And this one: "The prices you (Beckett) are establishing in your magazine are ludicrous....Lower, or at least stop raising your prices."

This poor guy had about one more good year of collecting left:  "I refuse to pay more than 40 cents retail for a wax pack of current year's cards.  Fleer and Donruss are stupid to limit their print runs.  They should be printed in sufficient quantities so that the average collector can afford them."

Take the money and run!: "My friend offered me $120 for a 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly.  What should I do?"

Top 10 "Who's Hot" (Determined by Reader Input):
1) Mark McGwire
2) Eric Davis (Donruss rookie card is listed at $30)
3) Don Mattingly
4) Wade Boggs
5) Andre Dawson
6) Jose Canseco
7) Wally Joyner
8) Beckett Monthly
9) Kevin Seitzer
10) George Bell

Others from the Top 40: Kal Daniels, Cory Snyder, Pete Incaviglia, Howard Johnson, 1987 Donruss, Matt Nokes, Tracy Jones

Bottom 10 "Who's Cold"
1) Bo Jackson
2) Dwight Gooden
3) Roger Clemens
4) New York Mets
5) Pete Rose
6) Sportflics
7) Reggie Jackson
8) Gary Carter
9) Jose Canseco (made both lists!)
10) George Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment